Tuesday, December 15, 2009

the persistence of memory

I'm a little ashamed of how long I've let this blog go untouched. But I'm back now, and have many things to share. During the lull between markets and making crafts I've been working on some of my fine art pieces that I'm trying to build for a portfolio. I've long been dipping into the idea of "memory mapping" for some paintings and drawings.




It's been interesting finding ghosts from my or someone else's past to create pieces with minimal imagery while trying to provoke the same emotions I have or remember. I think this will be a much needed but challenging process.



I'm beginning to understand why the holiday season is the hardest time for some people to get through. It's been a year and some days now since my mother's death. I find myself unmotivated to work on these pieces because of the occasional emotional strain, but I've realized that I will never have an excuse not to make art, because as long as I have a person or memory to make images from, I will always be able to connect with someone through art. What is more human than a memory? They are ours, to be viewed with no one else's perception.  There are worlds of images that are completely unique to you.



I've got 2 weeks off around Christmas because the screen printing shop I work at has gradually been losing business the closer we get to the holiday. Not unusual for this time of year though. I plan to use the time to work intensively on these pieces, so stay tuned!
-dig

3 comments:

  1. Lovely, my dear. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with this green dressed girl.... I have to see it!!

    ReplyDelete